Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thyme for Stew

Yesterday morning, I woke up to dense fog, icy roads, and frigid (to me) temperatures. Immediately I desired something warm & comforting, making Isa's Veggie Potpie Stew (pg 251) and Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits (pg 253) the perfect dinner choice. Of course by dinner time, bright sun rays were shining into my living room, but I still yearned for this meal.

My featured ingredient this time is thyme. I'm not talking dried, I'm talking about fresh thyme. Usually I prefer the convenience of simply reaching above my stove for McCormick Thyme leaves, sprinkling it on top of my soup, and being done. However, my nose enjoyed preparing these sprigs, and my mouth salivated as this fresh herb released its flavors in the final 10-minutes of cooking time. I am only more convinced that I need to have an herb garden like my mother's.

Now let me tell you about the biscuits. If you know me, you know I have a thing (read: obsession) for biscuits & rolls. Since becoming an adult, I have been pretty good at refraining, considering it's easier to put on weight these days. (Becoming a vegan has made it lots easier to abstain because I have a built-in excuse when I am not at home.) Finally, Isa has shown me a guilt-free way to have my luxury. These babies were a little crispy on the outside, but so smooth and sweet on the inside, a perfect texture for us biscuit connoisseurs.

Both of these meals were easy to make. The ingredients could be found at any of your grocery stores. (Although, I couldn't find yellow split peas, so I used green.) If you do make this meal, be prepared for a good amount of prepping. In fact, this meal took me longer than Isa's estimated time, but I also didn't have pre-baked sweet potatoes to use. The taste was fabulous, but I did add a little more salt to my stew. (Steven added his Tabasco Soy Sauce... Shock!) What impressed me most was how much the stew actually looked like the inside of a vegetable pot pie. Check this out:


So far I am 3 for 3 with being impressed with the recipes in this book. As an aside, I have lost about 3 pounds since starting this project. I think this is partially due to my insomnia subsiding, but I also think there is something to be said for following serving sizes in cookbooks. Portion control... easier said than done when you are cooking amazing meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment