Saturday, January 29, 2011

Eda-Mamma Mia!

My mother introduced to edamame a few years back as an appetizer at a sushi restaurant. I have been hooked on these soybeans ever since. I have had it as a snack (in pods with salt) and in soups and stews (shelled). Tonight, I had it processed in pesto. All I can do is express much gratitude to Isa for concocting this amazing dish. I will never use another pesto recipe again!

The meal I made was Spinach Linguine with Edamame Pesto (pg 174-175). This dinner was simple to make, as I could prepare the pesto and do all the chopping while waiting for the pot of water to boil for the linguine. However, I ran into a couple of issues. 1)I didn't have enough fresh basil, so I had to use some dried. I also used some cilantro I had left over per ICM's recommendation. I was highly impressed with how this turned out. 2) I couldn't find any spinach linguine in this city, so I guess that means technically I made Whole Wheat Linguine with Edamame Pesto. Does anyone know where I could purchase spinach linguine? I would love to try it.

Aside from taste, the best thing about this recipe was the serving size. I have made it a priority with all of the recipes in this book to stick to sampling only one serving per meal. This has been a real challenge for me, as all the meals are delish. However, this meal is scrumptious AND filling. I was completely satisfied having one serving, which looked like this:

Steven and I both sprinkled nutritional yeast on top of this yummy dish. Our child-- I mean cat, Shinji, begged for a taste, but we hogged it all.

Happy cooking.

1 comment:

  1. i couldn't find spinach linguine either. weird. i just thought i didn't look hard enough (because i'm impatient like that in stores)...

    ReplyDelete