Monday, July 18, 2011

Nostalgia

Is it possible to experience nostalgia for last week's events? Whether or not, I am missing my family even though I've only been home for a few days. The feeling prompted me to post the only other meal I was able to fix for my family.

Because I don't have a grill, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to fix Grilled Portobellos (pg 103). This is a shout out to my step dad for manning the grill! I served them alongside Shaved Brussels Sprouts (pg 92) and baked potatoes. The portobellos, according to my mom, could have used more time on the grill. I enjoyed it just the same. I was also curious as to whether I would like brussels sprouts on this my second encounter. I didn't like them as much as I did in the potato hash, but they were still acceptable and a nice change in veg. I'm unsure if they were popular with my family, as the left overs seemed stagnant in the fridge. I sympathetically put them on a left over baked potato. Apparently I REALLY like the combination of the sprouts and potatoes. Perhaps it's because I'm an Idaho girl?

Something else I have previously noticed, but have grown to deeply admire, is my parents' teamwork. Whether it is remodeling the house, caring for the landscape, or cooking, they share the load with equal amounts of interest and input. I love you Mom & Dad!

2 comments:

  1. three things. 1.) i am afraid to try brussle sprouts a second time even though i have a great friend who LOVES them baked. everyone else seems to hate then and even thought that's a stupid reason... i remember the first time we had them! 2.) i love teamwork! go parents! and 3.) are you a 3rd grade teacher this next year?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! Yes, I moved down to 3rd grade per my request. I feel ready for a change, and it will be nice to have a smaller class size. In fact, I have been spending this week getting unpacked. I'm at the same school, just down the hall.

    ReplyDelete