Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rewind

Here are some recipes I tried prior to my visit with my family...

First we have Eggplant Curry (pg 230) and Cranberry-Cashew Biryani (pg 67). For some reason I always dread having eggplant. Maybe I sampled it in a not-so-tasty dish at one point? I always expect it to taste soggy in dishes, but this proved to be nice and chewy. Both recipes called for garam masala... As you might recall, I'm in love with this spice, so A+ on this number.

Next, I will show you Ginger Bok Choy & Soba (pg 176) with tofu which I fried in a little cooking spray & soy sauce. One major lesson I have learned from Isa is switching up my greens more frequently to use in meals. Before I only thought of greens as being used in salads. Spinach was the only leafy green I really fried up like this. Maybe I'm a nerd, or maybe it's just because I have more time being on summer break, but I thoroughly enjoy chopping up bok choy! On a nutritional note for those of you who worry about protein intake, this provided me with 21 grams which is half of my daily requirement.

Here we have Catalan Couscous Salad with Pears (pg 47). This salad sold me simply from its texture. The crunch of the spinach & almonds plus the mush of the couscous & pears had me begging for more.
I saved the best for last - Butternut Coconut Rice (80), Pineapple Collards (pg 93), and Broiled Blackened Tofu (pg 147). I'm sure I have said this before, but what I miss most as a vegan is really creamy dishes. I've had to learn to love crunch, but my true desire (texture-wise) is for soft foods. This rice did it for me! I know it's unhealthy to have comfort foods... but screw that! I foresee myself NEEDING this dish on a regular basis.
Soon I will show you what I've been up to since getting home... but for now, did you notice the new design?

1 comment:

  1. i missed this post! it was FULL of goodness too! i believe i've even had that coconut squash rice trio in the bottom picture... i might have made it myself too!
    eggplant curry. mmmm. i'd try some of that!

    ReplyDelete